Thursday, February 11, 2010

Flashback....V-day style



I was listening to the radio today and ALL the people were talking about was Valentine's Day. I can honestly say that Eric and I don't celebrate Valentine's Day and I am so happy! Yes, getting flowers is nice, BUT I feel like they are a waste of money. Yes, they are pretty and they smell nice, but so does a taco from Taco Bell. Plus, they don't smell nice for too long and before ya know it, you walk by that vase with the green water and a huge smelly cloud goes up your nose and ya think- CRAP! Now you have to clean out the smelly flowers and wash the vase. Anyway, Eric and I don't do anything. We don't even do cards. I'm good with that. I will say that growing up my parents got us little Valentine presents and I loved doing the exchange at school. I will do that kind of stuff for the kids....I can only imagine Delaney in school during a Valentine exchange- Lord, help her teacher!

Laura and me today:)

When I think of Valentine's Day now, I automatically go back to my senior year of high school. My friend Laura and I were dating best friends and my boyfriend was taking me out to dinner.... an early dinner. Hmm.....maybe the red flags should have gone up then! Anyway, he brought me home and left (nice huh?) and I called Laura. Her boyfriend didn't even call her! So what do we do? We call her boyfriends house and find out that they both went somewhere together. PERFECT. Being the pathetic girls we were, we went to Laura's BF's house and decorated his room with roses, balloons, candy and we even put in Top Gun in the VCR and set it to the bar scene (you know one...). We knew they would be home sometime!
 Yes, we were cool. We left and later that evening we waited to hear from them, when we didn't we found out it was because they had a couple girls sleep over cuz it was too late to drive home! Awesome. To top it all off, I continued dating that s.o.b. SWEET!
 This is us in high school. I am on the left....Laura on the right.

Anyway, years later, Laura and I look back at that and laugh! Seriously...what were we thinking? I know Mom... I should've listened to you, we both should have.
I can't even begin to explain how happy I am to be with Eric. He is wonderful and I am so lucky to have met him. All I can say is thank goodness for Meet Your Teacher Night
(Check out my About Me tab if you have no idea what I am talking about:)

Our first picture together.... at the Moon of course.

6 comments:

  1. Now I am kind of with you on the gift stuff for Valentine's Day Nicole, but since my husband and I both work most of our "us" time revolves around the kids. The last time we had a date was in September, so we use this holiday as an excuse to spend a little time alone...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valentine's Day. Overrated. We don't do cards either. Nada. I am A-OK with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valentine's Day is just dollar signs for Hallmark and flower shops. That's why Dan, the kids and I make homemade cards, gifts, etc. I'd much rather it come from your heart than a store ;) While I'm at it...from my heart, You're an amazing friend whom I deeply miss. I love how we can pick up right where we left off and hope we will carry our friendship for a lifetime. I Love YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha... you are so right, made me smile. Funny... that is the only Valentine's Day I've ever remembered. I'm so glad we at least spent it together. And that is the only good thing that ever came from those tools, US :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL what a great wonderful post, you are such a great writer..ahhh Valentines day..another commercial holiday! heheh

    ReplyDelete

I totally appreciate you taking the time to comment! I love it! However, I reserve the right to delete any comment that is inappropriate or malicious. No need for that here:) Thanks in advance!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

who's here?