Thursday, April 23, 2009


Brody James Mikkelson
Born: April 17, 2009 at 4:51 pm 8 pounds 10 oz 20 inches long

YAY! We are so happy so have Brody here with us! It has been a crazy week, but totally worth it! On Friday, April 17, I was scheduled to be induced at 7:30 am at TMC. Eric & I were all ready to go and my parents were on their way to the house to watch Delaney. At 6:15 am, TMC calls to say that they are too busy and I need to wait to come in! Needless to say, I was quite upset. As you all pretty much know, I was done being pregnant and all I kept thinking about that week was that the end was near and now I had to wait. After my overreacting, I called them at 9:00 and they said come in about 10:00.

My parents came to the house and we left my dad with a deer in the headlights look as we said goodbye and good luck. See HE was in charge of Delaney ALL DAY BY HIMSELF. I had everything ready for him. Her meals were in plastic bags, labeled with directions. Her clothes were hanging, labeled by day. I wasn't too worried because she adores him.

Eric and I get to the hospital around 10:45 or so. They were super quick getting us checked in and in a room. My nurse came in and started my IV. By the way, I HATE needles and the thought of the IV scared me almost as much as the labor did. One hurdle down.... then Dr. Schalk came in to check me and I was already at 4 centimeters. So she decided to break my water and start the pitocin. It was around 11:45 by now and I was getting anxious. Eric, my mom and sister were all in the room with me, drinking and eating, so not fair. By 12:15 I was feeling the contractions. They were, of course, uncomfortable, but manageable. I was hanging in there. By about 1:15 I was dying. No one told me that the contractions that were forced by pitocin were different from the ones without. Those bad boys start extremely painful and come quick! At one point, I had three in row without any relief. I remember not being able to breath and freaking out. At that point, it was time for an epidural.

Before the epidural... so pleased to be having my picture taken.

Ahhh... the epidural. That thing is great. It worked right away on my left side, but the drug man had to come back and give me more because my right side wasn't quite numb enough for me. By 2:00 the doctor checked me again and was barely 5 centimeters. ARE YOU KIDDING? was all I could say. I was pissed. She assured me that it was be quick, but I didn't believe her. Around 4:00 I started to feel a little weird and the nurse came in to check me and I was basically fully dilated. I could start pushing!!!!! Dr. Schalk came in to do the delivery. Now I have to tell you about her. She is the littlest thing I have ever seen! She is short and skinny and quiet and she was going to delivery my baby. So with Eric on one side and my mom on the other and my sister watching, I pushed 4 times and out he came! As he is coming out Dr. Schalk says "Wow, this is a solid baby. He is so big!" I'm like- yeah, I know, he's been said for 9 months, thank you very much! So they put this big, little purple baby boy on my chest and I fell in love instantly.

That night we had a few visitors and then they took Brody to the nursery for three hours while I got settled in my room. I was really, really sore and had a hard time getting in and out of bed alone so Eric helped while he was there. They brought Brody back and Eric & I got to spend some alone time with the little man before he left. We decided that Eric should stay at home with Delaney so she could have some sort of consistency. I missed him though! It was freaking hard to change all the diapers, get him in and out of his bassinet, go to the bathroom, etc.

Daddy and Brody
Nana and Brody (above) Granddaddy and Brody (below)

Aunt Danielle
Uncle Chris

Kaylie & Daylen meeting their brother

The next morning he came back with chocolate milk, Dr. Pepper and Dunkin Doughnuts. I had never been so happy to see him! Saturday was filled with visitors and I was dying to see Delaney. Finally, my parents brought her in. She was wearing her "I'm the big sister" t-shirt with her capris and crocs. Oh my goodness... so cute. I was so nervous about the whole thing. she walked in and saw Danielle holding him and went straight over there. She didn't even acknowledge my presence what-so-ever. If you're not around Delaney a lot then let me explain something. She has a slight personal space issue- meaning she has none. She is very excited about things and flings all over the place and has to touch you- on the face. That's all she wanted to do to Brody. She was petting him like she does our dogs. I made her come see me and then she wanted down just as fast. It was slightly chaotic, but I was so excited to see her I didn't care. the plan was that we would be discharged around 6:00 and they would meet us at home. I couldn't wait!


Grandma Melinda
Sarah and James came to visit
Brody chillin before meeting his sister

Here she comes.....

So 4:30 rolls around and the nurse comes in to say that they need to do a Billirubin test on Brody before he goes home, standard procedure. She suggested that we take a load out to the car and the test results would take about 45 minutes. Fine, whatever, we did. She comes in in a little over an hour later and says that we can't go. His numbers were too high and the doctor would like us to stay another night. I was so upset. I didn't want to stay alone again, I wanted to be in my own bed, I didn't want Brody to have to be stuck in the heel again and I wanted to be home with Delaney. Doesn't matter. I had to stay. They said it should be fine in the morning.

After finding out we couldn't go home..
At 5:40 am they took him to the nursery and stuck his little heel again. They said about 45 minutes and we should know. Well, I waited and waited and waited until I was so irritated, I called the nurse. By this time it was 9:15! The pediatrician came in to explain what was going on. He said his numbers still weren't great and he was considering discharging me and having Brody stay and get treatment. Obviously this was not ok with me- I called Eric and told him to come right away. The doctor gave us another option though. He said that we could put him in this Billirubin blanket at home and we would have to go to the doctor first thing the next morning. I was all for that!

Sunday afternoon around 1:30 we were discharged! We had this fancy machine and our yellow beautiful baby. When we got home my parents met us there with Delaney. She was clearly obsessed with him. All she wanted to do was rub his head and take his pacifier. We needed to put him in the lights right away so we set it up and in he went. Poor little man... he looked like E.T. He needed to be in the light as much as possible, which meant night time too. Monday morning we took him to see his pediatrician and he said, go to LabCorp right now and get his test done. Let me just say, having a 2 day old baby's heel pricked is horrible. He was so upset! Too make matters worse, we knew that we had to do it again the next day regardless of the results. Turns out, the results weren't good. His levels went up so we knew we'd have another day of the heel pricking. Finally, Wednesday afternoon after 5 heel pricks, the doctor said his levels were not increasing, the were staying the same so we could discontinue the light and just keep him nursing! Yay! So today (Thursday) was the first day that he did not get stuck with a needle.

On the way home. Yippee!!!

Finally home!
Here is our little E.T.

Things are crazy here now, as expected. Delaney is doing pretty well. She is jealous and has started some lovely new habits like throwing herself on the ground or pretending to fall in front you to get your attention, but she is very gentle with him when she wants to be.

Trying to figure out why he is sad

Here daddy, let me pet him...

My sweet angel :)

I can't believe that I have 2 kids. I was sitting on the bed last night thinking- Wow, 3 years ago today Eric proposed to me. Now look at my life! Never would have thought all this could and would happen in that short amount of time.

I am amazed that Eric and I made our two little ones. I love being a mom and I don't take it for granted one bit. It is so hard, but so worth it.


  1. Nicole, I am so excited for you and the family. Yes 2 kids are great to have, imagine 3:). Can't wait to see you sometime. Let me know if there is anything I can do. I'll call you soon.

  2. Hey you!! So cute! He is so adorable! What a big boy! I remember going through the whole being away from Bailey and how heart wrenching that was! And I had a c-section so I had to be in for 4 days but I begged my doc into letting me go on the 3rd day! BTW-Bailey has the same Big Sister shirt Delaney was wearing!! What a cute family! Congratulations!!

  3. Congrats he is absolutely adorable!! I'm so glad everything went well!!! YEAH you have 2 kids too!! It's crazy but so much fun! He is seriously a cute baby! And I love how Delaney pets him like a dog, so cute!!

  4. Yeah! He has finally made his grand debut... and what a cutie. I am so happy to hear he is doing better. I love the picture with Delaney looking at him on the changing table, too cute. MY Baylee had the same big sissy T too (and that was 9 years ago!) I have more clothes when you re ready. Let us know when we can come visit: ) I have "big" helpers if you are in need; and Trynnity could play with Delaney.


I totally appreciate you taking the time to comment! I love it! However, I reserve the right to delete any comment that is inappropriate or malicious. No need for that here:) Thanks in advance!


Related Posts with Thumbnails

who's here?