Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Simplify

We are taking Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University at our church. The class is 13 weeks long- we meet for two hours once a week. The kids love when we have class. As soon as we pull up to church on Wednesday evenings, they are itching to get out of the car. They literally run to their class, which  makes my heart soar and puts my mind at ease so I can easily focus on what Dave is saying.



This class is intense. It is life changing. His motto, "Live like no one else, so later you can live like no one else" has taken up permanent residence in my mind and in my heart. I think that I get to wrapped up in the "stuff" that I "need" and it ends up affecting us negatively. We need to simplify. We need to simplify and streamline our life. We have to much stuff. And why? I truly don't know. Why do I feel like I need to keep up with my friends or out try to out do someone to make myself look better? How selfish is that? How unchristian is that? In my mission statement, I talk about having an organized home- the first step is to simplify. Get rid of stuff. Dave Ramsey says, "Sell so much stuff the kids think they're  next". I like simple things. Simple recipes, simple decor, simple outfits (with sparkly bling:), simple solutions, simple routines, simple questions, simple answers.... why not make life as simple as possible? Why have we complicated life with so much "stuff"?

I have gotten away from being thankful and grateful for what I have. I complain about things all the time. I know that is not a good example for my kids. Contentment is not something that I practice, let alone teach to my children. That is going to change.

Dave Ramsey may be a financial teacher, but his lessons go way beyond. His name comes up daily in our conversations. Just recently, I was talking to my mom about taking a trip to Disneyland for just one day, to see it all lit up for Christmas. I was trying to rationalize why it was a good idea and all my mom had to say was, "What would Dave Ramsey say?" I believe my response was, "I am pretty sure he would bitch slap me". Simple answer.

Simplify. That is a word that will be on my fridge from now on.... reminding me. I am not sure how a simpler life will look, but that is a mission that I am going on. I will let you know what I come up with.




Sorry for such a lame post, but sometimes, you just gotta let it out.

3 comments:

  1. It is amazing all the "stuff" we think we need...good reminder Nicole to focus on the important things in life. Sounds like a great class : )

    Would Dave Ramsey think I need an I Phone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really like Dave Ramsze. We didn't take the class but we read his books and are working to live by the principles he lays out. Good luck. It is so not easy but I know it is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And don't forget. I'm always available whenever you need a bitch slap. That's what good friends do, you know. :)

    ReplyDelete

I totally appreciate you taking the time to comment! I love it! However, I reserve the right to delete any comment that is inappropriate or malicious. No need for that here:) Thanks in advance!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

who's here?